Rare 1993 Frank Silva interview!

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/2009/05/twin-peaks-archive-video-store_7929.htmlOwn this interview by clicking here!

Question: How did you become BOB on Twin Peaks?

Frank Silva: It was an accident. I was hired as the the on-set dresser for the pilot, we were shooting in Everett, Washington where the Palmer house was and we were shooting the interiors, and exteriors, and we were shooting in Laura Palmer's bedroom. It was basically the scene in the pilot where previous to the scene where we see her Mother downstairs yelling for her. Basically the shot we were getting ready to do, was Lauras's mother's POV of her daughter's room after her wanting her to come down to breakfast. So, the camera was in the doorway, David was out in the hall, where the ceiling fan is. I was tweaking the bedroom set, getting everything ready to go, making sure everything is in it's place. David jokingly said, Frank, you better get out of there, you're going to get caught in the camera. And then suddenly he said - wait a minute!! Frank, get down to the base of the bed, crouch down, look through those wrought iron bars, and act scared! And then they shot the POV, with me at the base of the bed. And it just sort of snowballed from there.

Q: Were you hesitant initially to get in front of the camera to do this? You hadn't done this stuff before had you?

FS: I hadn't done film work before. I had been an actor years ago, basically i was a theatre major. But i hadn't done film, so it was a whole different ball game, but i also did not expect this to go anywhere, you know, i expected this to like, be some sort of lark David was doing and wasn't going to go anywhere. I thought well, it might be able to go, We had no idea it would be a series at that point either. So, i had no idea if this character was going to be around.

Q: So, when they decided it was going to go to a series, where you hesitant, or where you willing to go on?

FS: I wasn't hesitant, because i didn't know when i was working. They would always call me up at the last minute and say, Frank, David wants you here at the set, and i'd say, well, what i'm i going to do? Well, we don't know! And it's not scripted, David doesn't know. Just be here. And they would always say, 'And don't forget to bring your wardrobe', because it was my own clothes that i was wearing that day on the set. So that's the outfit that BOB has been stuck with since day one, is my own clothes.

Q: Now, did you quit working behind the scenes once you were a regular on the show?

FS: I was not really considered a regular on the show, and i never quit my day job.

Q: Now, after the show was cancelled, were you surprised to find out they were going to do a movie or did Lynch tell you guys that before hand?

FS: He hinted around to us, but we had no idea that it was going to be concrete.

Q: Were you and a lot of the other cast members disappointed with what happened to FWWM... Do you...

FS: The film...

Q: I think the movie is fantastic, but as far as how as how it was received in America, i guess it did well overseas...

FS: Apparently, from what i understand...

Q: As far as America goes, we you guys dissapointed with how it did and do you have any explanation as to why it did not do so well?

FS: I don't look at a film in that respect. To me it's like... I think it's a great piece of film...

Q: Without a doubt...

FS: It doesnt matter to me if it's raking in the dough at the box office, I mean, i'll go see a film if it's not raking in the dough at the box office, before i'll go see a film that is raking in the dough at the box office. So, i wasn't dissapointed, I mean i think the film stands for itself, it definitely tells a story, and the fact that it wasn't a blockbuster hit, um, i also feel that probably had a a lot to do with promotion and the way New Line handled the advertising. I think that can make or break a film, and i don't think they did put enough into it. Maybe that was the case. I also think that a lot of people thought, oh, we already saw the series, we know what's going to happen. When, i don't think that was the case with the movie. I think, even if you did see the series, had you taken the risk and the gamble of going to the movie theatre to see the film, it would have explained a lot of other things for you, and close that chapter.

Q: And a lot of things were taken out too weren't they...

FS: Out of the film? Oh yes...

Q: Like 5 hours i heard the director's cut was...

FS: I'm not sure exactly the time on the director's cut. I know that David has a tendency to shoot a hell of a lot of film just to cover his bases. And you know, it's really sad but, he has a contract to have it down under two hours, which i think is really rough for any movie, to do 120 minutes and tell a a story. I also felt that with Wild At Heart. I mean, because i also worked on Wild At Heart, and seeing the final cut of Wild At Heart was like, wow, there's a lot of stuff that's not in here. Um, and i think that has a tendency to ruin a lot of films. They have these time limits they have to keep to, and if it's a good story and a good movie and people are into it, the'll sit in the theatre for 2 1/2 hours. I mean, they're there and if they're engrossed in it, what's it got to do with it being under two hours? I think that had a a lot to do with it.

Q: Are you still recognized alot as BOB?

FS: Uh-Huh!

Q: Does that get annoying?

FS: Um no, i'm flattered. It's a compliment.

FRANK SILVA 1949 - 1995

7 comments:

Pogo_Lynch said...

I'm right or todoay (8 of April) is the 18th birthday of Twin Peaks?
If that is true... HAPPPPY BIRTHDAAAAAYYYYYY

Anonymous said...

Few days older than I am. Happy birthday!
And nice interview as well! I've always loved Frank Silva's appearance as BOB.

Anonymous said...

cheers to frank silva and twin peaks! they have made all our lives infinitely better!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Frank! TP World it's not the same without you! I miss you every night... scary nights!srjx

Anonymous said...

Last line of that interview was hilarious. lol RIP Frank.

abdyubdya said...

Hello, thank you for this interview! I like Frank Silva so much!
Do you have "Wrapped in plastic" №22? There should be some information about him too. Maybe you know if it is interview or article and how many pages it takes?

Anonymous said...

Frank Silva RIP you still scare the hell out of me.